Sunday, February 5, 2012

Selling Warning: Stay Away From This Typical Sales Problem

In a conversation with someone a few days ago I uncovered the fact that we both dislike a specific, yet successful, time management book.

The problem with the book is because the time management system it propounds is so complicated and difficult to use that in the end, it costs salespeople sales!

Interested to learn more, I googled the book name to see what others think of it, and what I found really shocked me - I sure hope YOU are not one of them!

Here's what most who also disliked the book wrote:

"I hated like this time management book. I tried out System A and Book 2 and finally settled on Book 3 - that one is awesome!"

WHOA!!! This is completely absurd - people are not only fooling away endless hours by using needlessly complex time management systems that accomplish nothing but WASTE time, on top of that they're burning through book after system…

No wonder why they're not making enough sales!

The obsession with time management programs makes me think of the "lead sorting" ritual I used to see everyday in sales departments in the 1990s before salesmen all had laptop computers and CRM software.

Other reps I worked with would come in in the forenoon, coffee, and then proceed to waste a full hour or more "sorting" their sales leads - they'd keep going through the stack of cards, separating them out into categories of who they'd call first, and so on.

What - really?

Yep, they "sorted" their leads all day, instead of just getting to it and contacting people!

Of course now everything is digital and customer relationship management centric but I'm sure the same silliness continues today, just virtually.

Fooling about with endless time management methods and lead-sorting are both symptoms of the same disease: PROCRASTINATION!

In the past I've investigated several time management systems, and I chose a very simple one: As I start my morning, I grab a blank piece of paper and a Sharpie, I make a list of tasks to do that day, and I go down the list and cross each off as I complete it.

I never sort work by importance or do anything else other than simply get to work; but, I have made a routine of completing the most unpleasant tasks first. Then the rest of my day is much more fun and I can focus on fun tasks like writing and closing deals.

My advice to you is to give up the "time management" fascination and simply get to work each morning. Make a list - a simple list - whether your list is on paper, on a flipchart, or in a blank text document on your laptop. You'll not only find your days getting easier and your checks getting bigger, but you'll find yourself working less hours and going home earlier every day, and that is the most rewarding benefit of all!


----------------------------------------------------
NY Times best-selling author Frank Rumbauskas has taught over fifty thousand sales pros around the world how to sell more without cold calling. Learn more at http://www.nevercoldcall.com and find his sales blog at http://www.nevercoldcall.com/blog/


EasyPublish this article: http://submityourarticle.com/articles/easypublish.php?art_id=244677

No comments:

Post a Comment